City of Kimmswick,
Missouri 63053

Kimmswick, historic charm on the Mississippi River since 1859

Anheuser Museum and Estate

Open every Thursday noon to 4pm, for walk-ins, including groups and individuals. ***Saturdays are by appointment only(April through November) Admission is $5.00 per person all proceeds from the tours are placed in the Anheuser trust fund and used for the upkeep of the property.*** Saturday tours:  Due to the wonderful success of our renting the Estate we are sorry that we will only be able to offer Saturday tours by appointment only. 636-464-7407

The Anheuser Estate is available for events

The Anheuser Estate grounds are open to the public but if you would like to hold an event there please call City Hall at 636-464-7407 to obtain permission and a list of the rules and regulations. Click here to down load brochure.

About the Museum and Estate

The ancestral home of Fred and Mabel Ruth Anheuser, affectionately known to many as Fredmar Farms, is located in Kimmswick, Missouri just 25 miles south of downtown St. Louis. This historic estate was gifted to Fred and Mabel Ruth in the 1940's by his father, W. Fred Anheuser. Fred's great grandfather, Eberhard Anheuser, was the founder of E.Ahneuser Brewing Company. The brewery later became the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Company, producer of world famous Budweiser Beer, after Eberhard's daughter Lillie married Adolphus Busch. Fred was the last Anheuser to work the brewery retiring as a Vice-President.

Fred passed away in 1984 and his beloved wife Mabel Ruth followed him in death in 2000. Through the generosity of Mabel Ruth and her heirs, this pristine river estate and its 23-acre grounds were donated to the City of Kimmswick. With the help of the Anheuser heirs, family and brewery artifacts and other memorabilia have been preserved for public viewing in honor of the contributions that the Anheuser family made to Kimmswick and the entire St. Louis region.


The home was built in 1867, sits at the south end of the town by the Mississippi River at Water's Point north of Hoppies Marina. The Anheuser family bought the estate in 1916 and used it as a summerhouse until 1945 when Mabel-Ruth and her husband, the late Frederick Straub Anheuser, moved there and named it Fredmar Farms.


Before her death in October 2000, Mabel-Ruth Anheuser bequeathed the home and grounds to the city of Kimmswick. In addition, she donated $1.5 million to the city for the upkeep of the estate.


The Anheuser collection includes family heirlooms, antiques, portraits, and a family library. Accenting the collection are Mrs. Anheuser's Westward Ho Crystal collection, a pair of 1904 hand-carved World's Fair beds, and an original "Feasting Fox" perched on the bluffs overlooking the mighty Mississippi. The grounds feature splendid views of the river and its indigenous wildlife. Bald Eagles are often spotted soaring above the river bluffs. The grounds also include several outdoor arenas occupied by the beautiful riding horses still stabled at Fredmar Farms in memory of Mabel Ruth who was an accomplished equestrian.


Everyone now has the opportunity to have a tour of the historic Anheuser Estate in Kimmswick. The estate's home and museum will be open for walk in tours once a week. The 23-acre estate will be open every Thursday and Saturday from noon to 4:00pm (from April through November) for walk-ins, including groups and individuals. Admission is $5 per person all proceeds from the tours are placed in the Anheuser trust fund and used for the upkeep of the property.


For information on group tours, please contact the City of Kimmswick at 636-464-7407. 

Commemorative Postcards

The commemorative postcards for 2011 were designed by Eva Tucker and Delainey Maughs of Arnold, Missouri. The postcards are being sold at the Anheuser Estate and Museum, community Post Office, Visitor Center, City Hall, and by many merchants throughout the City.

 

For a low resolution sample of the post cards click here.

 

(Acrobat Reader is required)